Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Introduction to the Novel

Back in November of 2003 during the NaNoWriMon org challenge (National novel writing month--is November, btw), I wrote the first draft of The Irish Pirate. I had the story in my head and it rolled off my fingers. So the challenge wasn't much of a challenge, because I knew my story. But I will confess time was the challenge--finding it to write. But I did it. I finished the novel on Nov 30 at 54, 000 words. The goal was for 50 K.

But this past year, I didn't manage to finish my novel. Mainly due to time restraints but also, the story is more intricate with many more characters than in the Irish Pirate. I stopped writing it and have been doing research for the plot when the mood strikes.

Why am I back to this novel? Good question. I realized recently that I have a novel prepped and semi-ready for publication. Why continue to write a new novel, when I need to polish this one off! Since I need a distraction, I decided to work on this novel. To give myself some encouragement, I'm posting the process here in this blog.

Ocassionally you'll find a comment from me regarding a section. Some of the novel was inspired by a person, or a conversation or event in my life. To give the novel more depth I thought these little tidbits would enrich it. BTW, if I by chance misspell a word or misplace one, please let me know. I can proof all I want and still find a way to miss something.

Now on to more interesting paragraphs...

The name of the novel was stolen from an online site I was a member of for about a year. The Irish Pirate was a user name of one of the male members. His profile was unique. He wanted to move to the Florida Keys, repair boats and write science fiction. His real name was Terry. I changed the hero's name to Perry though. I think what struck me about this person was the fact he seemed so real in a cyber environment. I made notes and waited for a story to appear.

The place where the novel takes place is in North Carolina. The area I had in mind for the story is a mixture of Carolina Beach, Lake Kure and some of the other islands close to the NC/SC border. The places in my mind are real and I hope they transfer to paper with the same vividness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home