Friday, November 11, 2005

Time Bandit

Georgette and Martin were introduced by mutual friends, who hoped that love at first sight would overpower them. Martin was smitten with Georgette, but she remained true to Trip. Over time, Martin had become her most valued friend, even if he did loathe Trip. She pretended Trip was wrong about Martin’s desire that he become more than a friend. He was in love with her, but he would never step across the friendship line, because he respected her. And he preferred having her as a friend than not having her in his life at all. Though he respected her feelings of friendship, he still voiced his opinion of Trip Trevor at every opportunity.

As they ate, she told him about Trip’s banishment into the cold morning and how he got upset over her not answering his calls. “Martin, I know he’s selfish, but you would think he would be more understanding. The meeting went into lunch and I really couldn’t talk. I hate how he made me feel—that I was unfaithful to him and his silly show.”

“He’s a petty fool. Don’t let his ego stroking needs cause you to lose the DT renovation job. Think of the city and county contracts you might land if this job’s done with the expertise I know you posses.”

“Martin, he won’t make me chose between him and this job. You misjudge him.”

“My dear sweet child, Trip’s a crook. He steals time from you. He sucks out your vitality and uses it for hair gel.”

“That’s a new one. I think it’s better than the one from last week. Let’s see. What was it…Oh, ‘Trip’s an artificial sun without light and I am a flower starving for it.”

“Hello, you two.” It was Susan Ritter, one half of the Ritter duo that introduced them to each other. She gave them both a hug and a kiss. “Can I join you for a moment?” She asked, as she sat in a vacant chair at their table.

“Susan, it’s been ages. How are you? How’s Elijah?” Georgette asked, watching Martin wipe vivid red lipstick off his cheek.

While Susan chatted away about her current news, Georgette raised a questioning eyebrow at Martin. He nodded and pointed to a spot close to his chin. She discreetly wiped the corresponding area on her chin. The napkin became stained with red.

“Oh I almost forgot. Elijah and I are throwing our last dinner party next Saturday. You two must come. We’re celebrating the foreclosure of our new home. It’s not far from your place Martin. Over on Cedar Drive. It’s taken months to find the right house to buy. I don’t know what we would have done without Dale Larkin. That man is an angel. He searched until he found the perfect home. Georgette, once we’re settled I want you to come by and give me some suggestions on what to plant in the garden spot. I’m thinking herbs and roses.”

“I can’t wait to see the new home,” said Georgette. She smiled at Susan’s enthusiasm. New homes were exciting until you moved in and realized you had a house full of boxes to unpack.

“Be there at 6:30 for before dinner drinks. It’s a formal dinner. Black tie and evening wear. We’re going all out, my dears. We’re having a live band on the patio.” Susan lowered her voice and said, “Also, a special guest. Congressman Redden. I’m so excited. He’s one of our new neighbors and has been so friendly. Already welcoming us into the neighborhood.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home