Monday, March 07, 2005

Chapter 4

I woke up to laughter. Rubbing my eyes and stretching, I tried to get my orientation. I looked out the window to see where the laughter was originating. Perry was on the walkway feeding sea gulls. Their caws sounded like laughter. He had a fresh-showered look, dressed in a pale blue sweatshirt and jeans. Oh yes, I was at the beach now. My drive, Wade and the fainting spell I had all came back to me. It was early evening, right at dusk. I must have slept at least five hours. No wonder I was refreshed. Crawling for under the covers, the cool air caressed my arms. I grabbed a sweater and walked outside.

Sitting in a chair on the deck, I watched the laughing birds fly away to their roosting places, as the sun continued to sink and the moon started to rise. Unmindful of me, Perry strolled down the walkway to the beach. I was relieved because I wasn’t in the mood for polite conversation. It felt wonderful to be able to enjoy peace and quiet after years of dead lines and commitments.

The evening star twinkled at me, as I sat on the deck. I pondered nothingness, my mind a blank canvas, as I concentrated in a hypnotic state on the evening star. My mind went into automatic reply of the past six months. The haunting cries of help that echoed, the sensation of spiraling downwards…It was like I was stuck in a time warp, knowing I shouldn’t go there, yet unable to stop myself. I don’t know how long I sat silent and still, as time is not. I don’t know how long I would have sat there, if Perry’s return from his evening romp to the beach hadn’t of broken my concentration. His boathouse rocked to the sound of heavy metal music in its unrelenting metallic tones, screeching and clawing at ears.

Total darkness had descended upon me, while I wasn’t looking. His place was blazing with light. I could see inside since he hadn’t drawn the curtains. There was a weight bench and its accompanying barbells in one bare room. In another, I saw a computer on a desk. Perry walked into that room wearing only what looked like red jockey briefs. They melded to his form. I shamelessly watched him move around from room to room. Once, he stopped short, freezing in place like a deer at the edge of a forest, sensing hunters near. He slowly looked towards the window. I tried to shrink into the shadows, afraid that he would think that I was spying on him, a peeping Tomette. He looked out the window for what seemed like an eon, before turning his attention to his computer. I took this opportunity to sneak into the house. I had gotten sleepy again. I privately whispered good night to no one and fell into a heavy slumber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home