Monday, June 20, 2005

Chapter 35

When we returned to the Pirate, Gene unpacked his suitcases, while Wade and I made sure the Pirate and the boathouse were secure enough to withstand a bad storm. I didn’t mention that Gene would be out tonight. I knew that if Wade knew that I would be alone, he would want to stay with me until either Perry or Gene returned. What I needed was some quiet time alone and tonight was my golden opportunity. Wade left afterwards, telling me that he would be back tomorrow for breakfast instead of lunch. And that he might even bring some poles for us to fish in the surf. I had a feeling that the idea of fishing tomorrow wasn’t for my benefit, as much as it was for Gene.


After Gene explored the Pirate thoroughly and performed a really funny commentary on each room. He talked me into a stroll along the beach. It was relaxing with the wind off the ocean blowing our hair. Gene would stop occasionally to pick up a stone and toss it at the crabs we saw scurrying for one hole in the sand to the next. I tried to imagine how vast their tunneling complex must be, stretching all over the island’s sandy coast. I should write a novel about it and call it the “A Crabby Network.”

“Kerrie, I talked to David before I left Raleigh this morning. I saw him yesterday, while lunching with clients at the country club off Wilmington St. He was having lunch with some men. I didn’t recognize them. Let me tell you, their expressions were intensely foreboding. David excused himself to visit the restrooms. I did the same and followed him. When I tried to talk to him, he got all paranoid and said he would call me. I told him to come by the later and he did.”

“I keep waiting to hear from him, Gene. The way he showed up the day Melinda died and actually shanghaied me into the car was very strange. When that car started to chase us, I knew that you were right, he had some bad karma going and I got away the first chance I could.” After I spoke, I remembered that I hadn’t told Gene that part of the story. I mentally gave myself a boot in the seat.

“A car chased you? Kerrie, did you tell the Police?” He keenly studied my face and then answered his own question. “You didn’t! Kid, you can’t keep protecting David. Don’t you see that?”

“I wasn’t hurt. The car followed us really close for a mile and then sped around. It wasn’t much of a car chase.” I left out the part where the car bumped David’s rear, trying to push us off the road. “Well, nothing’s happened since then, Gene. David must have finally gotten the idea that I’m finished with him. So why bother the police with it? They’ve got Melinda’s murder to solve.”

Gene started to press his point, but returned back to his previous talk of meeting David. I was relieved. We would end up going around in circles, if we continued the conversation on the present seam. “I asked David about his visit to you. He was evasive as usual and strangely curious to know what the topics of your calls to me were about. I’m guessing he was wondering if you had told me about the car chase. Well, you know how protective I am when it comes to you. I didn’t tell him anything.”

“I bet you took the opportunity to drive home that he needs to leave me alone and move on to another base, didn’t you?” My tone was full of accusation.

“Yes, I did. Dammit, Kerrie, you have a career that’s booming and he’ll drag you down, if you aren’t’ careful. We’ve worked hard to get your books sold. You’re finally being recognized as the talent you are, don’t let him ruin it.”

“Gene, I told you a few months ago that it was over. I’ve told him the same thing. I can’t help it if he’s struggling to accept it. Give him time—hell, give me time too. One day all this will barely be a memory. At least, that’s what I’m praying for.”

“I don’t know what kind of trouble Dave’s in. We can speculate until our brains explode. Whatever it is, Kerrie, it’s serious. Those men weren’t there to play golf with him.”

Suddenly I was tired of the conversation and weary of walking. “Let’s get back to the house, so you can grab a bite to eat before you go out with your buddy. I’ve decided not to go. I’m tired and could use some quiet time.”

“I’m sorry if I upset you, Kerrie. You can always change your mind and come along, you know.” Then to try and make me laugh, he began to chase after crabs that scurried ahead of us. His goofiness worked. I laughed because the crabs would always be the victor.

With David goofing off, the walk back to the house passed quickly. As we climbed the stairs leading to the upper deck, I had a sudden pang of apprehension. Though I needed some private time to myself, I felt anxious to be staying alone for a few hours at the Pirate. I knew I would investigate every sound I heard. I prayed silently that none would come from the room Melinda died in.

I made Gene’s favorite dish for supper, spaghetti with meatballs. He stood as a sentinel over the garlic, saying that it would keep the women away. When I mentioned vampires, he said that meeting women was more important that losing a few gallons of blood. We had our meal in a lighthearted atmosphere, far better than any candlelit restaurant could offer. After supper, Gene got spruced up. Gone were his tie-dye tee and nylon shorts. He was dressed to kill in a navy polo shirt and pressed khaki chinos. I wished him luck, as he left to pursue some beer, pool and women.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With David goofing off, the walk back to the

should the name here be Gene ?

Jo :0

10:27 AM  
Blogger Painter Lady said...

damn...you're right. Jeez... see I need another set of eyes..four isn't enough.

Having trouble with the final parts... I should take a day off and then go back to it.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home