Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Chapter 39

With the two men struggling, I almost couldn't concentrate on what I was suppose to do next. There was no weapon handy to help render David immobile. The security bar! If I could get it undone, then I would have a weapon. I quickly crawled over and tried to remove it. The salty air has caused it to rust. The two men fell backwards in a heap. Their struggle was one of life and death. My struggle with the bar mirrored their battle. I prayed that Gene’s strength would hold out. As I glanced over my shoulder, I saw that David was slipping out of Gene’s weakening grip. My struggle with the bar became panic-stricken. Helplessly, I watched as David, now free of Gene’s hold, began to pound him with his fist.

I gave the bar one last tug with every ounce of strength in my body and it sprung free. I felt the sweet taste of success and it gave me an adrenaline rush. David turned his attention on me, turning his back on Gene. I raised the steel bar in my hands, miming a batter, swinging with all my might. I missed David but cracked the glass into a million spider web fissures. It didn’t completely break it. I knew one more strike would do it. As I raised the bar once more, David seized it. Now it was our turn for a power struggle dance.

I wouldn’t relinquish my hold on the bar. Since he wouldn’t cooperate, I played dirty by shoving a knee into his groin. The move caused me to lose my balance. Since David had a death grip on the bar, too, he fell with me. We crashed against the weak glass and went through it. The glass cut my brow, arms and legs. David’s bulk cushioned my fall. He didn’t move for a moment. I stood up, brushing glass off me, trying to see if I had any deep cuts anywhere. I was relieved to see that they were superficial.

A moan from David set me into action. I ran over to the railing to look over the side. There wasn’t much to cushion my fall, except cement. The deck was higher off the ground than I thought. If I jumped I probably would die from the fall. I was trapped once again. David hadn’t moved as I looked for a way to descend the deck. He must have been knocked unconscious from the fall through the glass. I decided to jump over him and run down the stairs to safety.

But when I tried to step over him, his hand shot out grabbing one of my ankles. I screamed and began to kick at him, which caused me to lose balance and fall. I braced myself and tried to roll so that I could kick with my free leg. It worked. I connected with his wounded shoulder. He let out a peal of pain and I managed to kick my leg free.

There was no where to go but up. I sat on the railing trying to figure out a way to the roof. The wind was strong, almost tossing me off balance. I kept track of David’s moves as I tried to sort out my next move.

He bellowed my name in pain, “Kerrie.” I looked at him, wishing I could hurt him like he had hurt Gene, wishing I could kill him. Hatred fed me. He began to cry, “Why are you doing this? I don’t want to hurt you. Please help me. I’m hurt.”

“Poor baby,” I said with fake sympathy. “Do you hear that sound?” I asked, putting my hand to my ear. David tried to look over the railing from his position on the floor of the deck but couldn’t see anything. I answered my own question, “It’s the sound of a thousand violins playing David’s theme music, ‘The Pathetic Whine of a Loser.’”

“This vacation turned you into a majestic bitch, Kerrie. You’re beginning to remind me of Melinda. All she did was nag, nag, and nag about everything. When she wasn’t nagging, she was complaining about me not spending much time with her, not taking her out, and not spending money on her. Of the two, you were the low-maintenance one. "

"How could you cheat on me, David? Wasn't my love enough? I sacrificed so much to prove that I loved you." I bought time with questions. Questions were all I had. He had broken me financially.

"Poor little Kerrie! Now who's theme song is playing?" He gave a harsh laugh. I did not know this David, this monster.

"Everyone loves a martyr, David. Not a loser."

"I've had enough of this crap. Time to get down to business, Kerrie." From nowhere, he produced a gun. Even in the grayness of the storm, I could see deep black stains on it--stains that gave away its origin; stains that shocked me. He held my missing gun.


“You… David, you killed Melinda.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home