Thursday, December 01, 2005

Smoke and Schnapps

The dinner party ended when a trumpet blasted from the patio. Everyone left their seats to investigate the source of the music. In the center of a spotlight sat an orchestra on a stage. The all-male band members were wearing old fashion raccoon-skin coats from the roaring twenties. With another trumpet blast, they started playing swing music. People partnered off and the dancing began.

In the rush to the patio, Jennifer lost her dinner partner. She regretted that she didn’t get his phone number or slip him her card. A diversion was in order to get rid of the bitter taste of Dale. It was a mild night, cool but not freezing. Since she wasn’t dancing, the cool air was uncomfortable to her sleeveless arms, so she went back inside. There were a few people mingling in various rooms. All were enjoying the generous stock of liquor.

In Elijah’s study, Jennifer sat in one of the chairs close to the fireplace and was about to light up a cigarette when one of the waiters happened by and said, “There’s no smoking in the house, Miss. You’ll have to go to the smoking area.” He pointed to a double door hidden by white curtains. “I’ll open the door for you.”

Jennifer smoked. It was a bad habit that she hid from most people. Normally, she would wait until the drive home, but this evening had unraveled her a bit. She needed the reassuring habit of a cigarette to settle her spirits.

For the evening, Elijah’s rock garden had been transformed into a smoker’s haven. There were plenty of ash trays around and even some coasters for glasses. Jennifer was alone. She set staring at the moon, trying to read the fine print of the encounter with Dale, seeking anything she might have missed during those tense moments following the discovery of their tryst.

The double doors burst open with a force that shook the glass in the neighboring windows. A woman wearing a disco ball walked into the rock garden, holding the skirt of her dress up to her thighs and muttering out loud. “You evil shoes, why are your cursing my feet? What have they done to you?” She kicked them off. One went left. One went right.

Jennifer observed the woman with pity. She was obviously drunk. The woman had on a sequined gown. Light from the study reflecting on the sequins had given it the mistaken glow of a disco ball. From the depth of her cleavage, the woman retrieved a bottle of liquor and took a swallow from it. Jennifer decided to reveal her presence. “How did you swipe a whole bottle of liquor? I thought Susan Ritter had an army guarding it.”

The woman slowly looked over at Jennifer. “Are you the Peach Schnapps Police?”

“No, I’m Jennifer Swann.” The braid wrapped around her head was familiar. “I can’t place you but for some reason you seem familiar to me.”

“Georgette Witt. Hater of stilettos and lover of Peach Schnapps. Nice to meet you.” Georgette stood and offered her hand. Jennifer shook it. “Hey, you’re the lady in the bathroom,” Georgette said. A second later she covered her mouth. “Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that out loud.” She glared at the bottle. “Bad schnapps…bad.”

“So you’re the one who opened the door without knocking.” Jennifer’s eyes narrowed. She snuffed out her cigarette, placed her cigarette case back into her evening bad and started inside, when Georgette spoke in a mourning voice that echoed an answering chord in Jennifer’s heart.

“Mother Moon, why do we love men we can’t have? Why do you shine on others and not us?” She began to cry with ease, while Jennifer stood staring at her, wishing she had such freedom.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Kindred Souls

Taking pity on Georgette, Jennifer said, “You’ve had enough to drink.” She took the bottle away. “Come inside. It’s cold. I’ll give you a ride home if you need one.”

“But don’t you wonder, what makes us love men we can’t have?” Georgette asked again.

“What makes you think I love a man I can’t have?”

“Why else would you be half-dressed in a bathroom with a married man?”

Jennifer let out her first real laugh of the evening. “Sex! A person can have sex without love, you know. It happens all the time.”

Georgette fastened her unflinching green eyes on Jennifer and said, “You can’t fool a kindred soul.” She might have been slightly intoxicated but she remained in full control of her faculties.

“All right. I admit it. I’m in love with Dale Larkin, but he’s not in love with me. I know I can’t have him. Besides, we’re over. He ended it tonight after you discovered us. And I don’t intend to pursue him.”

“I love someone who doesn’t love me. I hate the power he has over me. And he’s here tonight with another woman. If I see him again, I’ll go insane.” Georgette stared at the moon, feeling its magnetic pull towards lunacy.

“Rod Hutchins,” Jennifer said, remembering how he brought Georgette Witt’s name up.

“Rod? You know him? He’s a talented architect,” Georgette said.

“He sat beside me at dinner tonight.”

“I wonder if he liked the fig sauce,” said Georgette.

Jennifer gave her an incredulous look. “He’s the guy you’re talking about, isn’t he? The one you’re so desperately in love with.”

“Rod? I barely know him. I’m in love with Trip Trevor.” Georgette whispered his name.

“The reporter? The guy who is with the blonde girl…oh dear, what is her name?” Jennifer heard it several times during the course of dinner but it slipped her mind now.

“Theresa Champagne. She’s a shock jock at the talk radio station. He must have just met her and fell in love at first sight. They’re going to the Bahamas for New Years.” Georgette wailed, “She’s beautiful and I’m not. And she drives a pink Cadillac. I heard her bragging about it to Susan.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. She’s paid dearly for that beauty. I would kill to get my hands on a before photo.” A light came on in Jennifer’s memory attic. “I remember you now. A few weeks ago I saw you walking down the street to Trip Trevor’s house. He lives on Cedar Drive, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, he lives on Cedar. He didn’t like for me to park in his drive. The neighbors gossiped and he was afraid that word would get out that he had a lover and it could cause him to be passed over for morally righteous work.”

“Morally righteous? Well, sweetheart I’ve got some bad news for you. The day I saw you…oh it was almost two weeks ago…on that day, a pink Cadillac pulled out of his drive and almost crashed into me. Theresa Champagne was driving. I remember her hair. She was at his house an hour before you arrived.”

“You’re mistaken. Trip swore he was faithful.” Georgette felt the first stab of betrayal in all the years she had been with Trip, she never knew of other women. Now, there was doubt being added to the Trip potion brewing in her heart.

She put her hands over her face, crying once again. Jennifer wasn’t around weepy women often and didn’t know how to comfort her. “I wish I knew what to day. I always thought it was better not to know about the other woman, but now I’m not so sure.”

“How can you be the other woman? How do you live with yourself?” Georgette’s tear-streaked face issued a guilty feeling within Jennifer.

“I never thought beyond my own needs. I’m sure along the line. I’ll pay for my mistakes. You don’t have to beat me with accusations.” Jennifer knelt beside Georgette, talking her hand and said, “I’ve had my share of pain. I was married once and it ended with heartache and deception. Maybe I’ve been punishing myself by seeking out men who couldn’t love me in return.”

“We really shouldn’t do this…take crap from men who use us.” Georgette looked up at the moon. “See the moon? It’s full tonight. An eye in the sky staring down at us.”

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Blood Vow

Jennifer stared up at the moon. If she wanted, she could reach up and touch it. But she knew its proximity was an illusion. “The man on the moon is watching.”

Georgette didn’t laugh. “No, I think it’s a woman. Yes, it’s the moon Goddess who is watching us. She wants a vow, a promise that we’ll stop being welcome mats.”

With a flurry of fingers, she removed the clips that held her braid in place, letting them fall at will. Next she unbraided her hair. Jennifer was astounded at its length. Georgette pulled a few strands from her head.

“That must have hurt,” said Jennifer. Without a word, Georgette reached for some of Jennifer’s hair and pulled a few strands from her scalp.

“It did, but the sting is temporary.” As Jennifer protested, Georgette rubbed their hair between her fingers until it formed a little ball and placed it in an ashtray. “I need a pin. Something to prick our fingers with. We need blood. If this is to work.”
”You’ve gone mad. What are you doing?” Jennifer backed away from Georgette.

“Your broach. The one at your cleavage. Let me have it and give me your lighter.” Jennifer obeyed, fascinated by Georgette’s sudden animation.

Georgette heated the sharp tip of the broach. She gave Jennifer the lighter and then pricked her finger hard enough to draw a bead of blood onto the tip. She held the broach out for Jennifer. “Take it, sterilize it with the lighter and then prick you finger. Hurry. We need to mix the blood over our hair and burn it as an offering to the Moon Goddess.”

“You’ve lost your mind. I’m not a Satanist.” Jennifer gave a horrified shiver.

“I’m not either but in a way, we’ve been giving our souls to the devil. Do it. Let’s cleanse ourselves by becoming… goddesses.” She pleaded with Jennifer, afraid that if they lost this moment, their souls would be doomed forever.

Jennifer heated the broach tip and pricked her finger. In the moonlight the blood looked black. She and Georgette pressed their fingertips until blood drops fell over the hair. Georgette found a dried leaf in the rocks on the ground. She lit it with the lighter and dropped it into the ashtray. A small yellowish puff of light and a popping sound occurred as the leaf and hair burned. Georgette jumped up onto a large rock by the door.

Raising her hands to the sky she said, “Dear Mother Moon, please accept this offering and grant us light, so that we may follow the path of the Goddess. Guide us so that we are true to ourselves. Give us strength to be better people.” With her hair wild and falling in unruly rings around her, Georgette personified the pagan worshipers of old. Jennifer humbled by the sight, silently prayed along with her.

Georgette continued her vow—their vow to the higher powers of the moon. “If you want me to forget the devotion and years I’ve spent loving Trip, send me a sign oh Great Mother Moon. If you want Jennifer to give up the madness of being the other woman, send her a sign, oh Great Moon Mother.”

They remained silent, staring up at the moon. The double doors opened cautiously and out stepped Rod Hutchins. Georgette stared down at him from her perch on the rock. She reached down and grabbed his shirt collar, pulling him towards her. Caught up in the pagan effects of her moon ritual, she kissed him long and deep, in effect sealing her deal with the moon.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Chapter 4

The Duel

Jennifer had never met anyone like Georgette Witt; a woman with a wild brazen side that once revealed went through boundaries, and not around them. Watching her throw herself into a ritual of offering and bartering with a power that frightened Jennifer a little, she realized that as they made their pact with the moon, they were also making one with each other.

When the doors slowly opened, as if by the power of the moon and Rod Hutchins stepped out, Jennifer’s heart stopped. She gaped at Georgette wondering if she was a high priestess in some cult for scorned women. Rod was struck immobile by Georgette’s wanton presentation of wild curly hair and brilliant lighting from the sequins on her dress, which reflecting a halo of light all around her. Neither predicted Georgette’s bold kiss. He looked small under her authoritative stature from her stance on the rock. The kiss may never have broken if the double doors hadn’t of banged open with a force that startled Jennifer. She was surprised once again. Before her stood her brother’s attorney, his baldhead as round as the full moon.

He saw Jennifer and said, “Good evening, Ms. Swann. I…” His sentence ended abruptly, as he saw the entwined couple. Martin Schmidt was thunder struck by the ardent kissing of Georgette and Rod. “What the hell?” He exclaimed.

Jennifer felt protective of their vow and wondered if she should seal her end of the bargain by kissing Martin Schmidt. But the moment was lost once he saw Georgette and Rod kissing. Instead of explaining that Georgette has sold her sold to the moon goddess, Jennifer made light of the situation by saying, “I think she’s possessed by Peach Schnapps.”

“Georgette, unhand that man.” Martin physically pulled them apart. Without Rod’s support, Georgette almost fell of the rock. Martin swung her into his arms. “You’re freezing. Where are your shoes?” He glared at Rod. “I’ll deal with you later. Taking advantage of a drunken woman is morally wrong, man.” Jennifer found Georgette’s shoes and put them on her feet as the two men squared off.

“She kissed me. I came out to get some fresh air and she grabbed me by my shirt collar. I didn’t realize it was Georgette at first. Her hair’s loose. She always has it up.”

Jennifer went to Rod’s aid. “He’s right. She did grab him first. Here are her things. You might want to dispose of the Schnapps though. Someone needs to drive her home.”

Martin said, “She came with me. I’ll get her home; if you’ll get her coat for me I would appreciate it, Ms. Swann.” He gave Rod a glare. “I’ll deal with you later.”

Jennifer touched Rod’s arm. “I’ll speak to him.” Then she followed Martin inside. Georgette was abruptly silent during the confrontation between the men. Jennifer thought it was due to the emotional strain of the evening and the Schnapps didn’t help much, either.

They found Georgette’s coat and got it on her. Martin insisted on carrying Georgette to the car. Jennifer carried Georgette’s handbag to the car for her. “Mr. Schmidt, it wasn’t Rod’s fault. She kissed him first. Don’t be too hard on him. He was taken by surprise.”

Martin pretended not to hear her. He put Georgette into the passenger’s seat. “I’m damn well glad that pink Cadillac is gone. Stupid woman parking that damn car sideways like a fool.”

Jennifer knew whom he meant. “I believe that’s another reason for Georgette’s behavior. She’s gone through a lot of heartache tonight.”

Martin stood before Jennifer. Her soft voice and tenderness over Georgette was in total contrast with his first impression of her. “I didn’t realize you and Georgette were good friends.”

“Actually, we just met.” She offered no other explanation. “I’ll check on her tomorrow. I assume she’s listed in the phone book?”

“Yes. It’s listed under G. Witt.”

She offered her hand to him. “Good night, Mr. Schmidt. Drive safely and don’t be too hard on her.”

“Let’s drop the formalities, Jennifer. Please call me Martin.” She smiled and nodded. As he sped off, she ran to the house to get her things, so she could go home too.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Hair Clips

Jennifer was almost to her car, when she remembered that she had left her cigarette case in the rock garden. Instead of going back inside, she walked around the house and entered it from the opposite direction. She was a bit surprised to see Rod sitting on the rock Georgette had stood on earlier. He sat staring at the ground with a few of his fingers touching his lips.

“Did she rip them off?” Jennifer asked. Her voice brought him back to planet Earth.

“I didn’t hear you come up. Brr, it’s cold.” He said. “I should get home. It’s late.” He spoke in clipped sentences.

She heard herself ask, “Would you like to go someplace for a cup of coffee?”

“I’m tired. But thanks for asking.” Rod said. “Goodnight.” He was departure was as quiet as his arrival.

A spark of light in the shadows caught Jennifer’s attention. She went to investigate and saw that it was one of Georgette’s hair clips. Once she found one, the others sparkled, gaining her attention. She retrieved all that she could find and paused to put them in her handbag. She gave the ground a final sweep with her eyes, but found nothing. So intent on her search Jennifer didn’t hear Redden walk up behind her, successfully cornering her.

His breath touched the nape of her neck as he spoke, “I’ve got you now, Lady in Red.” His lips felt waxy, as they pressed against Jennifer’s soft ones. She kept them pressed tight. Pushing against his chest with her hands, she made it clear she wanted him to stop. As her foot went back to swing into his shin, Susan’s voice broke the kiss. “What an interesting picture!”

Redden stopped kissing Jennifer, but didn’t break the embrace. Jennifer did, gasping and stammering, “How…dare…you…”

“You’re too tempting.” He said. Jennifer was so angry she couldn’t find a way to express it without using words stolen from a sailor’s vocabulary.

“You’re wife if looking for you, sir.” Susan kept her eye on Jennifer. Her expression voiced disapproval. Redden winked at Jennifer and made a hasty exit. “Why Jennifer, I didn’t realize you were so…close…to Congressman Redden. I would have seated you beside him instead of forcing you to endure Rod’s attention. I just passed him, by the way. He seemed upset over something. Now I know why!”

Angrily, Jennifer replied, “It’s not what it seems, Susan. Redden kissed me and wouldn’t let go. I came out here to retrieve my cigarette case and he came up behind me. I can’t stand that man. He’s slimy and creepy.”

“It would make me happy, if you took your shenanigans elsewhere next time. I don’t want a scandal with my name attached to it, appearing in gossip around dinner tables and especially not at the Junior League tea on Tuesdays.” Jennifer tried to interrupt but Susan overrode her with a sharp tone. “In fact, if you can’t contain your urges, I would prefer that you didn’t attend my parties.”

Susan’s disapproval fueled Jennifer’s anger. “If you feel that must bar me from your parties, Susan. That’s your prerogative, but let me remind you that you were the only to one witness Redden forcing himself on me. There were at least sixty people who witnessed your husband’s drunken butler act. His riddle topped it, though.” Jennifer mimicked Elijah’s voice perfectly. “What has one mouth that speaks for one million? Right ole chap, the correct answer is my wife.”

Outraged Susan screamed, “Get off my property, you…you...harlot.”

Even though she was filled with anger so violet that her glance could strike a blow, Jennifer curtsied, blew Susan a kiss and then left. Standing close to her car were Dale and his wife talking to another couple. He glanced at Jennifer as she walked by. He pulled his wife into his arms and she melted to his form in an intimacy that reminded Jennifer of the way he held her after sex, smelling her hair and singing softly in her ear. Witnessing the endearment between them cut Jennifer, just like Dale hoped it would. But she would never let him know it. Though her heart wept, her eyes remained dry.

On her drive home, the full moon followed her. Jennifer thought of Georgette and her wild heathen blood oath. Maybe the woman was right, maybe Jennifer deserved better than the Dales of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home