Thursday, March 24, 2005

Chapter 10

The resonance of Wade’s voice in sotto voce tiptoed into my dreams, “…like a star in the sky.” A pregnant pause followed the voice, as it reverberated into nothing. The summer night was alive with starlight. A pale crescent moon drooped over the serene lapis ocean, which was decorated by frothy waves.

I watched a moonbeam fashion itself into a noose, to dangle off the edge of the crescent moon. A zephyr carried me to the beckoning swing of the noose. It seemed as if the stars danced wildly as I touched it with a shaking hand. The pregnant pause unnerved me. The evening air was so expectant, and I had no idea if I could live up to it. Maybe that was why the noose was there, to end the expectancy of a starry night’s dream.

I slipped my neck through the noose, wondering if Wade was right. Would I look like a star in the sky, as I swung from the noose, a pendulum of hopelessness? If someone accidentally wished upon my starlight, would their dream die, as I slowly did? As my life dimmed, I imagine the stars shone the brightest at that instant.

The sound of crying woke me. Rivulets of tears raced down my face, staining my pillow.
Afternoon shadows chased dust atoms, as I looked around the bedroom, trying to shake the lingering tuft of the nightmare. But it wouldn’t budge. I exorcised it the best way I knew how too—by writing it down on a notepad I kept by the bed.

I was more exhausted now, than when I first laid down to rest. Putting the kettle on the stove, I decided to make some hot tea while I transferred the dream to my laptop computer. Once I started typing, I didn’t look at the pad. The dream was branded on my memory’s flank. My fear, as I wrote was that I would give life to it by putting it into sentences.

The cottage was so quiet that I could hear the appliances singing their household tunes. The air was stifling. And the beach was calling, telling me it was time for a swim, so I changed into a swimsuit and grabbed a towel. Running down the walkway to the ocean, I willed my spirits to fly high with the sea gull that was disturbed by my mad dash to sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home