Saturday, March 19, 2005

Chapter 9

A few days passed before I asked Wade about Perry O’Brien. My curiosity about him was itching and I knew Wade would scratch it. He was quiet for a long moment, probably editing the story. A noontime sun smiled down at us, as we sat on the deck, enjoying lunch. I toyed with my napkin, trying not to appear too interested. From the first time we had lunch together, Wade hinted that Perry was a good catch. I didn’t need the pressure of a matchmaker right now. Wade took off his worn baseball cap, scratched his almost baldhead, and replaced the cap before he started the tale of Perry O’Brien.

“Well, doll baby, Perry is about your age, late 30’s I’m guessing. He’s proud of his Irish roots. Don’t know much about his family, except for a sister, who’s married and his deceased uncle, who raised them. I think his parents died when they were kids. Perry works from home doing some kind of Internet web stuff. He also owns the local gym. Don’t know if you noticed his muscles.” Wade gave me a knowing look. My face was a brighter shade of pink.

He laughed. Then a clanging from the boathouse, followed by a word that would shock a nun made Wade add, “He sure isn’t the best boat repairman. But he can hammer wood. This house is his design. He built it for his wife. I always wondered what he saw in her, because she is one cold fish-eyed woman. I think she wanted him to sale this place and give her the money when they divorced. But this is inherited land and he is no fool. He knows that one day this place will be worth a couple of million bucks. The island is beginning to grow. Soon, condos and other businesses will be invading our little oasis. But for now he lives in his boathouse and works from there. Perry keeps to himself—the silent type that’s there when you need him.”

As if knowing he was the topic of our conversation, Perry strolled towards us up the walkway. Wade waved to him, “Ahoy there, Perry!” Perry waved back. Watching his muscular body as he came towards us, I realized that I must have been feeling better in spirit as well as in body. I couldn’t take my eyes off his well-tuned muscular arms and chest. He sat in a chair across from me. Wade and I were finishing Caesar salads that I had prepared.

I asked, “Want a Caesar salad? I’ll leave out the seizure.” I joked. Both men laughed.

“I ate earlier, but thanks anyway,” he said.

We were all silent for a moment. Perry sat staring at me. I idly wondered if I had lettuce between my teeth and salad dressing on my chin. “You’re looking a lot better, woman,” he said.

Wade agreed, replying as if I was not there, “Yep, that she is. Her face doesn’t have that thin drawn look to it. She’s getting some meat back on them bones, ain’t she, Perry? Now she doesn’t look like one of them waif gals that model secret underwear. I swear, they are just too thin! Real men love women with some flesh on them.”

Perry laughed, “You mean Victoria’s Secret lingerie, Wade! Yes, she does look healthier. She is sporting the beginnings of a nice tan. Her hair’s got sun streaks. How much do women pay to get them at the salon?”

Wade nodded his head, “Yep mate, long streaky hair and nails. Polished and preened. Look at Kerrie’s eyes. She got a twinkle in them that never seem to leave anymore, like a star in the sky.”

I blushed, not used to being the topic of the lunch hour. I threw a money wrench in the works. “My, look at the time!” I said.

Wade who is always a day late for any appointment, jumped up and said, “Got to go. Ebb and I are going fishing. The spots are biting faster than fleas on a mangy mutt. Kerrie, keep Perry straight for me.” He kissed my forehead, “See you tomorrow. Perry, keep an eye on my doll baby. She is a special girl.”

Perry inclined his head at Wade, “Course she is—she’s your lunch time cook. Don’t worry about her. I always keep an eye out.”

Alone with Perry I was at a loss for what to say. He smiled, breaking the ice, “So, when are you and Wade planning on tying the knot?”

I laughed, “We are thinking about next year. Maybe getting married on Feb. 31 at 13 o’clock but only if the moon is passing through Virgo. Where shall I send your invitation?” I hadn’t felt this lighthearted in ages. Wade was rubbing of on me.

With a serious expression, I said, “I don’t know how I would have survived the last few weeks if Wade hadn’t of adopted me. He is a sweet kind man.”

Perry nodded. “He is right you know….” He let the sentence linger before completing it. His eyes on the crashing surf, he finished, “…the fish are biting.”

I frowned, “Wade never offers to take me fishing. As a greenhorn, I guess that I would be a distraction.”

Perry laughed, “Fishermen like Wade and Ole Ebb aren’t that serious about catching fish. They just like to get together and lie about the ones that got away. I’m talking about fish and women.”

I started clearing the table of the lunch dishes. Perry sat there, watching me. “I’m going to the market in a while. Do you need anything? My sister and the nephews are coming for the day tomorrow and I need to have plenty of junk food around, so the nephews won’t chew the furniture.”

“I don’t need anything. Thanks for asking though.” I smiled. “How old are the nephews?”

“Five and Seven! They usually try to drown me in the surf. They live about 60 miles inland. Well, I’m off. Take care.”

“See you later.” A few minutes later I heard the truck drive off. The thought of having children around made me sad and strangely lethargic. I decided to catch a nap, after I washed up the lunch plates.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ready to hear more about the nightmares and the cause of them... along with the mystery man she is hiding from and the editor who likes the sound of his own voice so much

really enjoying the reading

xxx

7:15 AM  
Blogger sarah hb said...

In the passage joking about marriage maybe it should be "Wade was rubbing off on me" instead of "Wade was rubbing of on me" (lol bet you're fed up with me by now!) ah. tis a very good story m'dear. take care and can't wait to read more!
Now I am off to the realm of bed where I can recuperate :)

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home