Thursday, June 30, 2005

Chapter 42

Not worried about us returning fire, he stood boldly in the open. Luckily, his aiming of the handgun was a lot worse than his baseball pitch. From behind Nova, a voice of authority shouted, “Freeze FBI, drop your weapon.” I looked towards the voice and had another shock for the night. Gene’s pool buddy, Danny had a rifle aimed at David. When David didn’t respond, he took careful aim and fired, hitting David. In the light masked with mist from the rain, I watched a splatter of blood fly outwards, behind David. His body jerked with the force of the bullet’s impact. I watched him fall in slow motion, wondering if I would wake up now that the nightmare was over.

After David was shot, I got up from my crouched position, but returned to it when Danny Russell yelled for me to stay down. He and an unknown number of men ran inside to make sure all was clear. It was all I could do to keep from following him. Perry held me tightly, whispering over and over, “Gene will be fine.” I heard him, but my heart didn’t. When Danny got to the balcony, I could see he in defensive mode. He knelt down, disappearing behind the railing. When he rose back up, his rifle was down. He shouted, “All’s clear.” I knew then that David was dead. My stomach felt nauseous. I turned from Perry and was sick. My stomach rejected what my mind couldn’t, what my heart refused too.

Nova’s hand on my forehead was soothing. “Kerrie, it’s okay now.” I heaved and heaved until there wasn’t anything left inside. I heard Nova say to Perry, “Go check on her friend and see if those men need help. I’ll stay with her.” Her calming presence helped me to get a grip on my physical reaction to David’s death. As we covered the area in sand, sirens’ announced the arrival of the police and paramedics. She held my hand, as we ran inside to face the aftermath of David’s wrath.

But it was far from over, the nightmare I mean. It took days for the FBI to piece the story together. I spent three days and nights by Gene’s side at the hospital, as he fought for his life. His injuries were grave. Severe blood loss had almost killed him. But he’s a fighter and never gave up, nor did I. Feeling guilty for his injuries, I wanted to shoulder the blame but Perry was there to see to it that I didn’t.

Today, almost a month later, I came across my list of questions that Melinda’s death had instigated in my mind. I stared at the laptop’s monitor, reliving the pain of that night, the loss and the horrible helplessness that lives inside still, causing me nightmares. The night was turning slowly to dawn. I moved the laptop to my favorite spot on the deck and began to type, telling the story from the beginning. I paused only to sip the tea that was given to me and eat the soup that was provided. Demons drove me until this moment, the moment of truth…the moment of honesty. I find my fingers faltering.

I looked out at the evening sky, watching the clouds chase day into night. A pair of strong hands briefly squeezed my shoulders, giving me strength to write the rest. My heart gave me purpose to see this through.

Thinking back to the day, I talked to Danny Russell. It was about four days after David’s death. My injuries hadn’t been a day in the park. My wrist was broken. I had multiple cuts on my arms, legs, and face. The bullet that almost took off my head had left a large gash, which took 20 stitches to close. I’ll have a scar when it heals. My throat had ligature marks and my vocal cords were strained. I was lying on the couch, when Nova ushered Danny into the room. She was staying with me, until I was stronger. I sat up when I saw him.

“Miss Rosewood, don’t get up. Lie down. I can talk to you just like you were.” He smiled. His demeanor was totally different from the maintenance man imaged he portrayed. “I have some things I need to clear up and verify. Do you feel like talking?”

From the doorway Perry said, “Can’t those questions wait until she’s stronger? What time she isn’t resting herself, she’s been holding a vigil by Gene’s hospital bed. She needs to rest now.” Nova must have alerted him about Danny’s visit.
“Its okay, Perry. I need to get this over with.” My mind was still in shock, but I knew that Agent Russell needed me to answer his questions. I need his answers to my questions. I told Perry and Nova that they could listen and so began Danny Russell’s addition to the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home