Thursday, March 24, 2005

Chapter 13

I had a nice big bruise growing rapidly on my left knee. I walloped it hard when I fell over the coffee table. With my leg propped up on the couch, I sat thinking about the conversation with Gene. My brow furrowed because I was worried about Gene’s secretary giving out forbidden information. She was the kind of woman that would melt if pried with flattery. David was the king of charm.

A fleeting knock on the door announced the arrival of Wade. “Kerrie, what happened to your knee?” His concern deepened the wrinkles in his face.

“I forgot I moved the furniture around. When Gene, my editor called I fell over the silly coffee table. I’ll be fine. It’s just bruised.”

He gave me a dubious look. “Well, it keeps swelling we’re going to the hospital.” He paused, surveying the room, “Looks better,” and then continued to the heart of the matter. “What did the man say?”

“He said that Dave was fishing around for information on where I am, he doesn’t know, thank heavens. Gene has a plan to send David a red herring—that I’ve headed west to the mountains. As far as he’s concerned, I’m in no danger.” I stretched the truth a smidgen, but I didn’t feel in any danger.

A soft knock at the door interrupted us. In the doorway stood Perry’s sister, wearing white shorts over a red tank style swimsuit. She seemed to hesitate before entering through the sliding glass door. “Sorry to disturb you, but do you by chance have any tea? Perry is a complete coffee maniac, while I prefer hot tea.” She smiled, “My name is Nova. I’m Perry’s sister.”

I smiled politely, “I’m Kerrie. It’s a pleasure to meet you!”

Wade grinned broadly. I could tell from the way he hugged her that she was one of his “baby dolls”.

“Kerrie, this is the sweetest lady on the mainland. Boy, I’m one lucky old salty dog. I’ve got the two sweetest ladies in the whole world under one roof.”

Nova and I laughed and exchanged a knowing glance. Wade made excuses and rushed out, claiming to be late for dinner. Trying not to limp, I went to retrieve some tea bags for her.

“Why don’t I have a cup of tea with you, Kerrie?” She asked. “I need a break from the guys.”

So I put the kettle on and found some cookies to compliment the tea, once it was ready. We decided to sit under the window in the den, where a cool breeze blew and enjoy our tea. I covertly examined her, finding no resemblance to Perry. She was his direct opposite, all soft and feminine. Her light blue eyes held his warmth though, and I was happy to see it.

“I can’t believe Perry made changes with the decor. He usually shuns change. But it does look better in here,” she said.

I cleared my throat, “I’m the one who changed everything. I had some restless energy and couldn’t control it.” I laughed nervously and was relieved when she joined in.

“He won’t spank you.” She winked, “But then again, he might.”

I blushed, not sure what kind of comeback was proper to that remark.

“Kerrie, you look familiar. Have you vacationed here before?” She searched my face, trying to place me. I stumbled for an answer.

“No, this is my first time. As a writer, I do travel some and have had my picture in several publications. You may have seen me in one of them.” It was my turn to wink. “Or I could have one of those faces that remind you of a famous model or a soap opera seductress.” I fluffed my hair with a dramatic flair.

We both giggled, as we sipped our tea. Nova broke the silence. “I’m glad you were here today. Being around males all morning had been tiresome.”

I smiled politely. “I’m glad, too. I think you are my first female visitor outside of the cleaning lady. Wade drops in almost daily for lunch.”

“Oh no, you’re feeding him.” She laughed, “Wade is the epitome of the statement about ‘a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’”

I grinned. “I’m learning valuable information from him, like how to lie about the size of the fish I may catch in the future.”

“You know, I’m surprised that Perry’s ex-wife hasn’t been by to see who’s living in ‘her house.’ She must not know that you’re here.”

“Is she big and bad? Should I hurriedly re-arrange everything to its proper place?” I jested.

“Honey, if you ever meet her, you’ll know it immediately. She still refers to herself as ‘Mrs. O’Brien.’ She’s terribly spoilt and the biggest snob around. I don’t know why Perry married her in the first place.”

“Maybe because I was in love with her,” Perry said, startling both of us.

“Perry! That was rude of you!” Nova declared, as she wiped some spilt tea off her shorts.

“And you so giddily discussing me isn’t?” His stern face made me want to melt into the couch cushions. He started to say something else, but faltered as he noticed the changes that I had made.

“I…er…took liberties with the décor and the furniture. I can move everything back, if you don’t approve.” I said timidly.

“Actually, the place looks better.” He confessed. I was relieved, until I noticed Nova looking at us with a knowing look on her face. I had a feeling she was as bad as Wade was about sticking her nose in places it shouldn’t be.

“Kerrie, you should be honored. Perry would usually rip of the head of anyone who was bold enough to make a change.”

“That’s not true, Nova. Little Billy still has his head after the crayon incident last year. Speaking of which, both boys are awake and watching cartoons. If you want to miss the late afternoon rush to the mainland, you better get on the road.”

“Oh my, is it that late? Kerrie, I enjoyed the tea. You have to come for lunch the next time you are on the mainland. Perry will give you the directions.” She gave me a warm hug. “I would love the company. Maybe Perry can come along, too.” A twinkle in her eye confirmed my previous notion.

“I would love to visit and will do so soon.” I replied, ignoring the insinuation about Perry coming along.

Perry quickly said, “Kerrie, I need to see Nova and the nephews off. Have a good afternoon.” I watched them leave. A pang of sadness touched me, as I felt a little light go out, when Nova left. She had definitely brightened my day. But now I missed the camaraderie of my friends at home.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah hb said...

"Well it keeps swelling we're going to the hospital." maybe to "Well if it keeps....."

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home